Call for Submission: South Asian Canadian artists
Call for Submission:
Submission Deadline: Monday, April 11, 2021
In partnership with the City of Toronto’s Winter Activation Program, Gerrard India Bazaar BIA invites artists to submit proposals to participate in the outdoor lit South Asian Art exhibition along the Gerrard India Bazaar BIA on Gerrard Street East from Coxwell Avenue to Glenside Avenue.
The artwork will be installed on pedestrian light Poles in the BIA allowing visitors to explore the neighbourhood, in a socially distanced and safe way.
The installations will be up in Summer of 2021 and will feature a diverse collection of South Asian art by South Asian Canadian artists. The installations will remain in place as long as the BIA wants to hold them.
The installations will transform the bazaar into an outdoor art gallery and will welcome Torontonians to explore the diversity of their city. Patrons will experience the warmth of the South Asian art and culture through this exhibition.
- The Gerrard India Bazaar BIA is looking to adorn 22 of its light poles with 22 different South Asian art installations.
- The artwork will be etched on Acrylic sheet and lit with LED lights on the sides
- Each artwork will be fabricated with metal frame and installed on the Poles
- Size of Acrylic sheet: 3 ft (Height) X 2 ft (wide)
- South Asian Artist from across Canada
The artwork will be etched on acrylic, please ensure the design is in line form.
Artwork will be displayed outdoors in unprotected areas that may be inclemently affected with snow, rain, variable and sub-zero temperatures.
- Art work size area 35” x 23” (Portrait)
- Linear/Vector graphics only.
- Beautifully incorporate cut outs in your art work, the cut outs should cover the whole art work area uniformly and should be at least 30% of the whole artwork area
- The thinnest remaining material in between cut outs should not be less than 3/8”
- The engraved lines must be RGB blue (0,0,255) and the lines for cut outs must be RGB red.(255,0,0)
- The only format that will be accepted is .ai
- Consider the fact that your artwork will be visible from both sides due to the transparency of the material.
- Colours – Your artwork will be engraved/cut on the fluorescent acrylic. You may choose between four main colours: fluorescent pink, orange(yellow) green and blue (blue is the least bright)
Please make sure the artwork follows the guidelines in the sketch below.
How to Apply:
This Artist Call is Stage 1 of a Two-Stage selection process (Stage 1. Artist Call/Proposal, Stage 2. Final Design Proposal).
The purpose of this call is to gather a list of artists or artist collaborations who will be short-listed based on preliminary design concepts. Artists are asked to submit a hand-drafted rough sketch as a proof of concept with a written description not more than 200 words. The artwork should depict south Asian art & culture.
One artist can submit a maximum of three concepts.
Artist interested in this project must prepare and submit the following:
- Artist Contact information
- Short description of the artwork you propose (Maximum 200-words)
- Artist Bio (2 pages maximum)
- Contact information for 2 references.
- 3 images of past work – approx. 500 KB) (Please indicate location and date of installation if any)
Final Designs will be required from shortlisted artists in Stage 2. Shortlisted artists will be contacted by April 11 to develop the final artwork.
Shortlisted artists will receive an honorarium of $300 (per artwork) inclusive of HST on submission of the final artwork. The final artwork must be delivered by April 17, 2021.
Please send proposals to email@example.com with the subject line “South Asian Art Exhibition in Gerrard India Bazaar” by Sunday April 11, 2021 by 5:00 pm. Proposals should be in one single PDF or Word document. Supplementary audio/visual materials can be included as email attachments or external links.
April 11, 2021
Deadline for submission of artist proposal for stage 1
April 13, 2021
Short listed artists will be asked to submit final artwork
April 17, 2021
Final Designs submitted
April 30, 2021
Artists Honorarium released
Exhibition goes live
If you have any questions, please contact Tasneem Bandukwala, BIA Manager, Gerrard India Bazaar BIA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are eager to receive your proposal. If you have any barriers to participation with this Call for Proposals, please email us explaining your situation and we will do our best to accommodate you.